The Chandigarh Traffic Police has been periodically modifying
the format of the traffic challan book in order to evolve an innovative
design that facilitates both – enforcement work, as well as,
education. The latest version incorporates the following features:
• The entire range of traffic offences that need to be curbed
along-with the relevant rule/section of law have been printed as
a checklist on the challan form. The challaning officer is required
to tick mark the offences committed by the offender in each case.
This reduces the time taken by the police officer in writing out
the challan form.
• The exhaustive checklist serves as a reminder to the officers
on enforcement duty regarding the entire range of offences about
which they need to be vigilant.
• The form is also educative for the offender as it imparts
knowledge about all traffic rules that need to be adhered to.
• The offender gets a neatly printed challan receipt that
has minimal manually written content that counters the earlier problem
of illegible writing of some of the officers.
• The instructions regarding inspection of documents as well
as the procedure for the payment of compounding fee are clearly
spelt out for the benefit of the offender.
• The offender is permitted to record his comments while signing
the challan receipt. This simple innovation reduces avoidable friction
at the time of challaning and introduces greater accountability
in the enforcement work.
• This format is more compatible with maintenance of records
and data pertaining to traffic challans.
Chandigarh MVA Challan Form